Friday, January 17, 2014

Where's The Beef...Broth, That Is?

Over the holidays I made a pot roast from an nice piece of chuck roast. Thank you Ree for giving me the idea for fixing roast that night! I had everything, or so I thought. I had failed to purchase a box of beef broth. Duh!  I had the roast searing (sear both sides) in the cast iron skillet, seasoned with Kosher Salt and Pepper and garlic powder, got out the roast pan to put the seared roast in and low and behold...no broth.  I didn't even have any beef bouillon cubes on hand! What to do...What to do?  
Worcestershire Sauce

I looked in my refrigerator and on the top shelf in the far back was a bottle of
Oyster Flavored Sauce
Lee Kum Kee  Oyster Flavored Sauce.  It was brown folks, and flavorful. Then I spied a bottle of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. "Ok!" I said to myself "I can do this."   I got out my four cup measuring bowl, put in: 


In A Pinch Beef Broth

2 cups of hot water 
1/4 cup Oyster Flavored Sauce (Contains Cornstarch)  
2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce 

Whisk it together and WALLAH!  Beef Broth!  I poured it over the roast in the roast pan, lightly browned  the halves of a peeled onion in Coconut Oil and put those in the pan.

I set the temperature on the oven at 300 degrees, put the lid on the pan and we were ready to cook.  I put it on a 3:00 p.m., at 7:00 p.m. I scrubbed up some carrots and cut them into bite size pieces and tossed them into the cast iron skillet with at touch of coconut oil on medium high heat to put a caramel coating on the outside then tossed those in with the roast to finish cooking.  The roast was done when I could take a fork and insert into the roast with no resistance...like cutting room temperature butter with a knife. I fixed cauliflower as side.  

Oh my...that roast was so delicious. The meat just melted in your mouth, and flavor...fabulous!

So the next time you find yourself without Beef Broth...well let's just say Oyster Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce is a good combination. 

Peace, Love and Happy Eating…

No comments:

Post a Comment