Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Nuts and Wings....My Way

Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Wings
Last Sunday (Super Bowl Sunday) I was busy prepping wings and nuts for snackers for the big game.  I decided that we needed some nuts to chow on, but I didn't want the normal run of the mill nuts. The canned ones are too salty for my liking. Hmm what to do...I had raw cashews, pecans, walnuts and pumpkin seeds.  An idea struck...off to the computer I went and pulled up the page I was looking for, went back to the kitchen, with spoons and spices flying, I went to work creating a concoction that was so yummy I just wanted to eat it all. 

The other item I did was crispy oven fried chicken wings that were so good that Dave asked where the next batch was.  It came out wonderful and crispy. Next time I will do a little different marinade.

Nuts My Way Gluten-Free

1 cast iron skillet
1 Cup Raw Cashews
1 Cup Raw Pecans
1 Cup Raw Walnuts
1 Cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 Tbsp Coconut oil
4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp low Lawry's Low Sodium Season Salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional)

Put all the nuts in a dry cast iron skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly so the nuts don't burn.  Once nuts are lightly toasted add the next 6 ingredients in order, stirring after each addition. Stir constantly until all the ingredients are mixed together. Turn out onto a pizza pan, to cool. Put in air tight container.  Enjoy
Garlic Grater










Crispy Oven-fried Chicken Wings Gluten-Free

22 chicken wings thawed

Marinade

Juice of one lime
5 garlic cloves, grated
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp Lawry's Low Sodium Season Salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
sea salt + pepper to taste


In a large pot of boiling water add wings and let cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove, drain and let cool.

In a bowl add the ingredients for the marinade, mix well and pour into a Ziploc Bag. Turn the bag several times to make sure that all the chicken is coated.  Put in refrigerator and let marinade for 2 hours turning bag every 30 minutes to coat chicken.

Heat oven to 450 degrees. 

Take a baking rack that fits a half sheet pan and spray with Coconut spray or Pam.  I put parchment paper under the rack to catch the drips so clean-up is easy. Lay chicken on rack and put in oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes turn chicken and bake for another 10 minutes. 
Chicken on baking rack

Remove from oven and place on platter and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.  I had Frank's hot sauce with mine.              Soooo Gooood!

The trick to getting crispy oven-fried chicken is boiling it first. And what a trick it is.  You would never guess that it wasn't fried. 

What is your favorite Chicken Wing recipe?  I would love to know.

Peace, Love and Happy Eating!







No comments:

Post a Comment