Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Let's Get Started...Pineapple Salsa


Once there was a little girl who stood at her grandmother and mother's elbows to learn how to cook. Oops, she also stood at her daddy's elbow as well. My whole family loved to cook even my brother. I recently found out that my Grandfather on my dad's side from Pennsylvania was a hotel chef at one time. My mother's family was from the South so you know what kind of cooking that entails. For us not so much fried, but wholesome and flavorful.

Summers were spent working in the garden and putting up corn in the freezer. We would have huge shucking parties and the whole family was involved. We would drive to Bixby, OK and purchase Merritt Sweet Corn from Conrad Farms, at least 3-4 bushels of it, shuck it, fire up the camp stoves outside, get big pots of water going till they boiled. In would go the corn for three minutes, plunge them into ice cold water to stop the cooking, rush them into the house and start up the electric knife, remove the corn from the cob and bag it up in the old Seal-a-Meal bags and put them in the freezer. We would fill the freezer with corn and it would be enough to last us until it was time to do it all over again the following year.

In the fall I would help my grandmother make jams and jellies. We would can tomatoes and green beans, then would plow the garden under and ready it for winter. It was a good time and there is nothing better than dirt therapy.

But I digress. Oh, did I say I love to cook? I do, I really do. So, I have decided to share with you some of the wonderful family dishes that I've learned how to make. I will be sure to share shortcuts to make it more diabetic friendly and I will try my darnedest to get the nutrition values in and let you know what a serving size is.

How did I come to choose the name Mia Foodies? I guess you could translate it to My Foods. Things I love to fix. So I guess now is the best time of any to get started.

Let's start with a simple crowd pleasing Salsa. My daughter gave me this recipe. Courtesy of Greg Waggoner.


Pineapple Cilantro Salsa

Serves 5

Ingredients:

20 oz. Can Crushed Pineapple in own juice drained, juice reserved

1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro Leaves

4 Thinly sliced Green Onions

1 De-seeded Jalapeno finely chopped

Directions:

Mix all together, spoon some of the pineapple juice back into mixture, but not to where it is soupy. (Really your preference)

Can be served with Frito Lay scoops or served with pork, chicken or fish.

Serving size 1/2 Cup 

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size
1 serving (126.2 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
0
Calories
69
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
0.0g
0%
Saturated Fat
0.0g
0%
Sodium
12mg
0%
Total Carbohydrates
16.7g
6%
Dietary Fiber
1.3g
5%
Sugars
14.2g
Protein
1.2g
Vitamin A 3%Vitamin C 23%
Calcium 1%Iron 3%


Peace, Love and Happy eating...















1 comment:

  1. Susie this sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete