Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Knock Your Socks of Potato Soup...

Years ago I got desperately ill and my mother made me some of her outstanding potato soup that saved my life. I remember it like yesterday, the smell, the taste, the warmth of the pepper as it passed over my tongue. I remember that I asked for a second bowl. As my mom was bringing it to me, the reason that I was ill suddenly cleared up, my fever broke, my sinuses cleared and I was well. I had been desperately sick for 4 days.  I had, had a sinus blockage of congealed mucus. They actually had to biopsy it to see what it was. 

Mom always made cornbread to go with the potato soup, as the two seem to go hand in hand. I always made sure to watch mom make the soup so I would have the recipe down pat. With that said, here's Mom's Knock Your Socks Off Potato Soup.

Ingredients:
1 stick of Butter
Bunch of Celery
2 onions
3 lbs. small red potatoes unpeeled 
Chicken broth (your own bone broth or 2 boxes of chicken stock)
*Chicken Broth Concentrate


 1-1/2 Cup Milk (if you are sensitive to milk you can you almond milk or soy milk)
Pepper to taste

Equipment: (Only if you have)
Vegetable Knife
Vegetable Dicer


5 qt. pot
Cutting board

Directions:

Wash potatoes slice in 1/2 inch slices. Place in Dicer and push through the large dicer. Those without a dicer cut the potatoes in 1/2 by 1/2 cubes. 

Cut end of Celery off, wash all the stalks to remove any dirt. Leave the leaves on. Process through the large dicer or slice by hand slicing in about 1/4 inch slices. 

Cut the ends of the onions off and remove the skins. Slice in 1/2 inch slices.  Place in Dicer and push through the large dicer.  Those without a dicer, cut the onions in 1 inch by 1 inch cubes as they will break down. 

Put stick of butter in stock pot to start melting.

Place onions, celery and potatoes in the pot on medium-high heat along with a squirt (about a tablespoon) of Chicken Broth concentrate.

Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Do not let the butter burn.

Add in Chicken Broth.

Add pepper to taste. (I like to add 1/2 tsp. when sick) Bring to a boil.

Turn off, add in a 1 1/2 cups of milk. 

Taste, if you like a more chicken base taste, add some more of the Chicken Broth Concentrate. 

This recipe is gluten free. 







No comments:

Post a Comment